Social Impact Consultant
Position: Social Impact Consultant
Location: Preferably Houston, Texas but flexible
Salary Range: Depends on candidate’s experience
Posted: February 2023
Acorn International delivers the expertise, solutions and assurance that global businesses need to thrive in high-risk environments amidst community opposition, environmental liabilities and shareholder activism. Our growing business is looking for a talented, motivated, and passionate Social Impact Consultant (mid-level position) to join our innovative high-performing team. We help good companies be good neighbors.
Acorn International is a small and nimble internationally recognized company that helps industries, investors, and government agencies create solutions to manage high-profile environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks. We offer expertise in environmental and social services through a distinctive approach:
- We apply innovative solutions and work closely with clients to develop fit-for-purpose solutions unique to each project
- We develop meaningful relationships with our clients, strive to understand their challenges and the local context in which they occur; and
- We focus on building the capacity of our supporting knowledge transfer with our international partners and working with governments to bring good international practices into regulations; and
- We work with our clients as an advisor and trusted partner.
If you are looking for an opportunity to make a tangible change in the world we live in and contribute to the betterment of society, we would like to hear from you! We strive to hire and promote the best and brightest people with a commitment to lifelong learning and growth. We look for exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, problem-solving abilities, and a passion for technical excellence and quality – these qualities are almost more important for this position as experience in our field. The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and competencies:
Qualifications and/or Experience
- Required – A minimum of 3-5 years of training and practical experience in the social sciences – ideally anthropology or sociology – including working directly with industries and investors to create social, cultural, and economic solutions and positive impact for host communities and governments
- Strongly Preferred – Specific background including human rights, engagement with Indigenous and vulnerable people, conflict resolution, risk assessment / impact assessment, community investment / development planning, and monitoring and training – Our work is interdisciplinary in nature, but these are core disciplines we use in our work with energy / extractives and investors
- Knowledge and experience using international standards and frameworks such as the IFC Performance Standards, the Equator Principles, the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and others.
- Strongly Preferred – Strong foreign language skills (especially French, Spanish, or Portuguese) – Professional written – Written/spoken communications, document review, and translation enable us to support clients, governments, and other stakeholders in their own languages
- Preferred – International experience (study, travel, living, working), or experience applying global perspectives and/or working in multicultural settings – We work globally with clients, partners, and communities
- Demonstrated competence / expertise in applied social science
- Critical thinking
Must have authorization to work in the US if not a citizen.
The successful candidate can expect:
- A competitive salary and benefits
- Flexible working conditions
- Integration into a highly-respected, friendly team committed to promoting environmental and social justice
- Ability to make a positive societal impact on companies, their host communities, and the environment
- An opportunity to advance with a highly regarded consultancy that has exciting assignments with the world’s leading companies
Acorn International is an equal-opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Social Impact Consultant” in the subject line. No Phone calls, please.
1801 Main St, Suite 1300
Houston, TX 77002, USA
1213 Purchase St
New Bedford, MA 02740, USA