Position: Senior Consultant
Location: Houston, Texas, Flexible
Salary Range: Depends on candidate’s experience
Posted: May 2023
Acorn International delivers the expertise, solutions and assurance that global businesses need to thrive in high-risk environments amidst community opposition, environmental liabilities and shareholder activism. Our growing business is looking for a talented, motivated, and passionate Senior Consultant to join our innovative high-performing team. We help good companies be good neighbors.
Acorn International is a small and nimble internationally recognized company that helps industries, investors, and government agencies create solutions to manage high-profile environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks. We offer expertise in environmental and social services through a distinctive approach:
- We apply innovative solutions to social and environmental risk challenges and work closely with clients to develop fit-for-purpose solutions unique to each project
- We develop meaningful relationships with our clients, strive to understand their challenges and the local context in which they occur; and
- We focus on building the capacity of our supporting knowledge transfer with our international partners and working with governments to bring good international practices into regulations; and
- We work with our clients as an advisor and trusted partners.
If you are looking for an opportunity to make a tangible change the world we live in and contribute to the betterment of society, we would like to hear from you! We strive to hire and promote the best and brightest people with a commitment to lifelong learning and growth. We look for exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, problem-solving abilities and a passion for technical excellence and quality – these qualities almost more important for this position as experience in our field. The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and competencies:
Qualifications and/or Experience
- 15+ years’ experience in social, sustainability, and/or environmental consulting to international industry
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage scope, schedule and budget for large projects
- Strong client relations
- Strong professional work ethic, initiative and integrity
- Experience in performing and leading social performance, community engagement, EIA, baseline studies, due diligence assessment, and related services
- Willingness to occasionally travel to and work in developing countries on short (normally two weeks or less)
- Ability to provide direction to teams of experts from partner companies in other countries
- Strongly Preferred – Specific background including environmental compliance and impact assessments, human rights, engagement with Indigenous and vulnerable people, conflict resolution, risk assessment / impact assessment, community investment / development planning and monitoring and training – Our work is interdisciplinary in nature, but these are core disciplines we use in our work with energy / extractives and investors
- Strongly Preferred – Strong foreign language skills (especially French, Spanish, or Portuguese) – Written/spoken communications, document review, and translation enable us to support clients, governments, and other stakeholders in their own languages
- Demonstrated competence/expertise in applied environmental and social science
- Critical thinking
Must have authorization to work in the US if not a citizen.
The successful candidate can expect:
- A competitive salary and benefits
- Flexible working conditions
- Integration into a highly-respected, friendly team committed to promoting environmental and social justice
- Ability to make a positive societal impact on companies, their host communities, and the environment
- An opportunity to advance with a highly regarded consultancy that has exciting assignments with the world’s leading companies
Acorn International is an equal-opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Senior Consultant” in the subject line. No Phone calls, please.
1801 Main St, Suite 1300
Houston, TX 77002, USA
1213 Purchase St
New Bedford, MA 02740, USA