Environmental and Social Analyst
Position: Environmental and Social Analyst
Location: Houston, Texas, Flexible
Salary Range: Depends on candidate’s experience
Posted: September 2023
Acorn International delivers the expertise, solutions and assurance that global businesses need to thrive in high-risk environments amidst community opposition, environmental liabilities and shareholder activism. Our growing business is looking for a talented, motivated, and passionate environmental and social analyst (junior-level position) to join our innovative high-performing team. This position will create the opportunity for the candidate to perform research and analysis of environmental and social conditions in project-affected communities and to work directly with our small teams to support the development of socially-responsible solutions to challenges faced by energy, mining and finance companies involved in promoting the energy transition.
Acorn International is small but internationally-recognized company that helps industries, investors, and government agencies create solutions to manage high-profile environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks. We offer a similar suite of environmental and social services as the ‘big-box’ consultants but how we do it is what sets us apart:
- We apply innovative solutions and work closely with clients instead of offering “off the shelf solutions”; and
- We develop meaningful relationships with our clients, strive to understand their challenges and the local context in which they occur, and work to develop realistic, implementable and sustainable solutions; and
- We focus on building the capacity of our international partners and working with governments to bring good international practices into regulations; and
- We work with our clients as an advisor and trusted partner, not as a service provider.
This approach is summarized by our motto, “we help good companies be good neighbors”.
If you are looking for an opportunity to make a tangible change the world we live in and contribute to the betterment of society, we would like to hear from you! We strive to hire (and retain) the best and brightest people with a commitment to lifelong learning and growth. We look for exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, problem-solving abilities and a passion for technical excellence and quality – these qualities almost more important for this position as experience in our field. The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and competencies:
Qualifications and/or Experience
- Training or experience in sustainability, environmental policy, environmental science, human rights, sociology/anthropology, ESG, risk assessment, or impact assessment (or similar degree/field of study) – Our work is interdisciplinary in nature, but these are core disciplines we use in our work with energy/extractives and investors
- Strong foreign language skills (French, Spanish, or Portuguese preferred) – Written/spoken communications, document review, and translation enable us to support clients, governments, and other stakeholders in their own languages
- International experience (study, travel, living, working), or experience applying global perspectives – We work globally with clients, partners, and communities
- Critical thinking
Must have authorization to work in the US if not a citizen.
The successful candidate can expect:
- A competitive salary and benefits
- Flexible working conditions
- Integration into a friendly team committed to promoting environmental and social justice
- Ability to make a positive ESG impact on companies, their host communities, and the environment
- An opportunity to advance with a highly regarded consultancy that has exciting assignments with the world’s leading companies
Acorn International is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com and reference “Environmental and Social Analyst” in the subject line. No Phone calls, please.
1801 Main St, Suite 1300
Houston, TX 77002, USA
1213 Purchase St
New Bedford, MA 02740, USA