Social and/or Environmental Consultant
Position: Social and/or Environmental Consultant
Location: Houston, Texas
Salary Range: Depends on candidate experience
Posted: December 2019
Acorn International delivers environmental, sustainability and non-technical risk management consulting services to international industries and investors. We do so through an innovative model of partnering with and strengthening the capacity of experts in 70+ countries to deliver local know-how in the context of expert direction, yielding world-class results, affordable solutions, and a demonstrable commitment to developing the capabilities of in-country resources. Working with Acorn helps international industries and investors to better manage the increasingly delicate balance between meeting internal requirements for high quality, reliable and simplified service while satisfying host-country demands for maximum local content and capacity building.
Acorn International is seeking a full-time, Social and/or Environmental Consultant to join our growing team. In this position, you would be responsible for serving as project manager for social and/or environmental baseline studies, social/environmental impact assessments, community needs and opportunities assessments, risk assessments, human rights impact assessments, stakeholder mapping and engagement planning/execution, environmental management plans, and related studies and plans. In addition, you would be responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with external clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders.
- Post-graduate degree (Masters required) in a relevant discipline including environmental science/management, social science, or equivalent professional qualification.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in environmental and/or social management and assessment.
- Track record in working with private sector institutions to identify social risks and issues and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze diverse information and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience working in emerging markets countries is an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of IFC Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability or similar standards would be an advantage.
- Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project-affected peoples, government officials, NGOs/ civil society, as well as project investors and their staff.
- Innovative, self-driven, and able to work independently.
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, help motivate and lead group efforts and effectively network across boundaries.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions. Strong presentation and verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel, sometimes on short notice, to often difficult project environments.
- Good knowledge of a relevant language (French, Spanish or Portuguese) would be an important asset.
- Must have US work visa if not a citizen
The successful candidate can expect a competitive salary and benefits, flexible working conditions, and an opportunity to advance with a well-regarded consultancy that has repeat contracts in place with major companies.
Acorn International is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume and salary requirements/history to: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Environmental and/or Social Consultant” in the subject line. No Phone calls please.
1801 Main St, Suite 1300
Houston, TX 77002, USA
1213 Purchase St
New Bedford, MA 02740, USA